When you hear the word anti-ageing you automatically think old. Well not really. Anti-ageing facials are generally for the more mature skin, people over 40 years old but are also available for those in their early 30’s and onwards as the skin starts maturing from that age. Anti-ageing facials are also good for skin that has been damaged over time by the sun or for those that have prior skin conditions.
We take our skin fore-granted, especially when it comes to the face. When we go into the sun, we will put sunscreen on our bodies but tend to forget about the most important part of the body – the face. Without the proper use on sunscreen on the face or sun protection i.e. wearing a hat, we damage the skin on our face terribly which over time leave dark marks. By going for an anti-ageing facial, you will be able to get rid of the dark marks but bear in mind that in all likelihood this will not happen overnight and you will have to go for more than one treatment.
What causes the skin to age?
The older one gets the more thinner and drier the skin becomes. The skin starts losing collagen and elastin – collagen gives the skin a thick, plump appearance and elastin which makes the skin “snap” back quickly. The older you get, the longer it takes for the “younger” skin to get to the topmost layer of the skin which then gives the skin a duller appearance.
What are the basics of an anti-ageing facial?
First of all, anti-ageing facials are not just restricted to woman, men can get them too! An anti-ageing facial is very similar to a normal facial with the exception of a little bit extra:
- Step 1 – Cleansing. The face needs to be cleaned with an age appropriate cleanser and is done so with cotton pads or sponges.
- Step 2 – Skin Analysis. Your skin is basically put under a microscope meaning that through a specialised lamp, dry skin, broken capillaries, age spots as well as fine lines and wrinkles will be picked up. This will determine the extent of the anti-ageing facial required.
- Step 3 – Exfoliation. A chemical or mechanical exfoliant can be used. Mechanical exfoliation lends a gritty texture and is used while steam vapor is directed at your face. A chemical peel can be done as part of a facial treatment or as a stand-alone treatment.
- Step 4 – Extraction. Basically the removal of unsightly blackheads or whiteheads.
- Step 5 – Facial massage. Using classic massage technique, the face is massaged to relax you and stimulate the skin and facial muscles.
- Step 6 – Facial mask. Definitely geared towards the more mature skin and is dependent on the type of mask you require and of course, what the beautician has available.
With the correct application of toners, serums and protective creams as well as by getting the right advice on home skincare; you will be able to have younger looking skin in no time!
For advice on anti-ageing skin treatments contact the beautician experts, The Laser Beautique. From therapeutic massage treatments to anti-ageing treatments, The Laser Beautique will have just what you need. To find out more about the various beauty treatments on offer through The Laser Beautique, visit their website www.thelaserbeautique.co.za